Are you having problems with iCloud synchronization?
There may be several causes for iCloud not syncing properly. Please try the following steps, as they may already solve the problems:
- Please make sure iCloud is enabled on all your devices and that you are logged in with the same iCloud account. On Mac, iCloud Drive must be enabled in System Preferences › “Apple ID”. On iOS, please ensure “iCloud Drive” and “Ulysses” is activated in iOS’ Settings › *your account name* › “iCloud”.
- To test if iCloud is fully functional, please open Finder on your Mac and add a random file from your personal Documents/Downloads folder (DOCX, PDF, JPEG) to the “iCloud Drive” folder and check if it shows up in the Files app on your iPhone/iPad and vice-versa. If the file is not synchronized across your devices, your iCloud setup might be corrupted in general and you should contact Apple's iCloud support directly.
- To guarantee that the iCloud background synchronization services are up and running, please cold-boot your iPhone/iPad and restart your Mac.
- Please make certain you’re properly connected to the Internet. If you’re on a cellular network (3G, 4G, LTE, 5G, E), please verify that the options “Cellular Data”, “Ulysses” and “iCloud Drive” are activated in iOS Settings › “Cellular”. If iCloud syncing is slow while you’re on a mobile device, try connecting to a Wi-Fi and charging your device. iCloud syncing is optimized for saving power and runs slower or not at all in Low Power Mode.
- Please verify you don‘t exceed your iCloud storage limit. Otherwise, Ulysses is not able to sync your subscription or your sheets and groups across devices.
- Please ensure that no firewalls such as LittleSnitch are blocking iCloud services on your Mac.
- Please make sure that the groups you’re trying to sync are in the “iCloud” section in Ulysses on Mac. Sheets/Groups in “On My Mac” are only stored locally, but are not synced to Ulysses on iOS/iPadOS.
- Please have patience. Sometimes, iCloud just takes some time to fully sync sheets between devices. It might be necessary to keep Ulysses on iOS active because iCloud will stop syncing after a while when switching to another application. For the initial sync, you could also set “Auto-Lock” in iOS Settings › “Display & Brightness” to “Never” in order to prevent your iOS device from going to sleep.
- In very rare cases, iCloud might be slow or even inaccessible due to server issues. You can look up its status anytime on Apple's system status page.
- If you checked everything, but your sheets still don’t finish (or even begin) syncing, please use our contact form.
Please be aware that all iCloud syncing is handled using Apple’s background services. Therefore, our capabilities and insights regarding iCloud problems are limited: Ulysses is not able to force a sync, for example. Also, please note that Ulysses uses iCloud only to synchronize data across devices. iCloud is not a backup service—this is done using Time Machine.